As the mother of a very, very rambunctious toddler, I’ve had to learn quite a bit about dressing quickly and efficiently. And while throwing on yoga pants and a tee was acceptable for speedy dressing as a college student, it can be a bit immature for an everyday look as a fully-fledged adult. I do place emphasis on everyday because we all have crazy days when it’s an achievement that we don’t run out of the house stark naked, right?
10 crosby derek lam sweater*, james jeans, loeffler randall flats, danielle nichole bag, ring from myhabit, ray-bans*
Thus, the essentials of my “mom uniform” that can be utilized for anyone on-the-go…
1. Chic, comfortable flats: While I’ll never completely give up my heels, flats are simply much more practical for chasing a toddler all day. If you are a die-hard lover of height and find it difficult to get excited about flats, a little variety might be the spice for your life. I like a mix of both pointed and round toe flats; pointed toe flats tend to up the “dressy” quotient of an outfit and help me feel a bit more sophisticated (especially important if you are covered in spit-up and spaghetti sauce), while round toe flats come in every incarnation from studded to sporty.
2. Crew necks: Whether a tee or a sweater, a crew neck can alleviate a lot of fuss when dressing. Grabby hands can easily dislodge v-neck and scoopneck tops; a higher neckline helps safeguard against the flashing of assets. And if you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to consider camisoles or slips, donning a crew neck can often eliminate the need for layering.
3. A hardworking handbag: Unless I’m going out on my own, I am in a phase of my life where I can no longer carry small bags. Not only do I need to tote my own essentials, I have diapers, a cup and snack, and usually at least one toy thrown in my bag (and for babies, you can add burp cloths and an extra outfit to that mix!). A medium to large bag crafted in a resilient material is a necessity, and bonus points if it can be worn crossbody so my hands can be left free.
4. Thoughtful pieces: My wardrobe essentials need to be easy to mix and match and allow a great amount of freedom and movement. This usually means workhorse pieces in simple silhouettes and colors, so accessories can be important in pulling together the look I’m after. Loads of dangling jewelry and gorgeous skyscraper heels don’t work for my everyday life, so intentional pieces like one statement cuff, a richly hued belt, or OTK boots are the kinds of pieces that make tossed-together clothing feel like an outfit.
5. Oversize sunglasses: Because I’m about three years behind on sleep.